U of A Student Section
The 2017-2018 slate of officers for the Section is:
- Jamaica Dillard – President
- Jordan Senia – Vice President
- Derek Liu – Treasurer
- Open – Recorder/Secretary
In addition to the slate of officers listed above, Faculty members – Dr. Stephanie Griffin is the Faculty Advisers for the UA Student Section.
STUDENT MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
• Access to Scholarships (See next Section)
• Access to Networking with Professionals
• Opportunities to Make presentations to current professional members
• Access to additional Job Market
• Access to free additional training See also – ETC Student Program
• Access to Regional and National conferences
• 1 Year Post Graduation Free membership
• Camaraderie with other Student Members
• Joining the real world professional organization while still a student
• Resume Booster
• Opportunity to develop leadership skills
Membership Application Process –
• Download an application http://www.asse.org/asse-student-membership-application/)
• Turn it in to the Student Section President – The application is then given to the Southern Arizona Chapter treasurer for approval and submittal without any fees. If the application follows any other paths, fees may apply.
The Southern Arizona ASSE Chapter has funded the David MacCollum Scholarship made available to U of A student section members. Check out the scholarship criteria and application process. The Chapter also has funds available to assist students in attending the ASSE PDC and FSLC. Check the STIPENDS page for more info.
The Southern Arizona ASSE Chapter, as well as the entire ASSE Region has made it priority to assist in finding internship opportunities for Student Section members. Check here for more information.
Southern Arizona Student Section Background/History
Engaging and preparing our future safety leaders has long been a strategic goal of our Society. A lot of us “Mature Professionals” know that time is immutable and we must find creative ways of supporting the next generation of health and safety professionals. Since the UA has an existing Occupational and Environmental Health program within the College of Public Health, it was a natural academic program to encourage students to join our Chapter.
The ASSE Student Section is designed for students who are pursuing a career in the safety, health and environmental (SH&E) fields. ASSE seeks to provide additional opportunities for students to learn more about their chosen areas of study, as well as promote interaction between students and safety professionals.
This Student Section was formed during the first 6 months of 2013. We were able to enroll an initial total of 13 Masters and PhD candidates in the University of Arizona’s College of Public Health during the fall semester. These students are specializing in occupational and environmental health. They are also student members of the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA). The idea was that creating a system of joint membership in these two professional organizations would be a mutually beneficial arrangement for everyone.
Rustin Reed, MPH candidate and industrial hygienist working at the UA was our initial President of the AIHA UA Student Section. We must acknowledge the tremendous job he and other AIHA student leaders and members accomplished in a relatively short time. Thank you for your support on this project.
We are very excited about our Chapter having a Student Section because it directly fills a need to encourage our future in this great profession.